Last night Rae and David Green attended a fundraiser at Frederik Meijer Gardens, to support Grand Rapids’ organization i understand, for Suicide Prevention Week.
i understand is a support group and apparel campaign to support those who have lost a loved one by suicide as a result of mental illness. By supporting i understand, you help to erase the stigma and judgement associated with mental illness and suicide. i understand supports the mission of the Mental Health Foundation by increasing suicide prevention awareness and education in our schools and communities.
i understand means:
- i understand suicide is an effect of an illness
- i understand mental illnesses are treatable
- i understand stigma is the #1 reason why someone would not seek treatment for mental illness; education and awareness are vital to saving and changing lives
- i understand reaching out to those who are suffering could save a life; let someone know you are available and treat them with respect and compassion
- i understand most people who are suicidal do not want to die; they want their pain to end
- i understand speaking out about suicide may empower others to share their stories; lives will be saved
- i understand those who die by suicide do make it to heaven
- i understand feelings of guilt are part of the grieving process on the way to finding peace and acceptance
i understand was created by Vonnie Woodrick in 2014 in loving memory of her husband Rob, who lost his battle with depression in 2003.
To request an i understand t-shirt, please visit: facebook.com/iunderstandloveheals
Would you like to take the next step and get help?
Toll Free. Confidential.